November 3, 2015

Stamping on Tile


I shared a photo of some of the tiles I had stamped on Facebook, but wanted to share them with you here with a mini tutorial on how I made them. These make great little Christmas gifts and are rather inexpensive to make.
 

I started by visiting my local Lowes Home Improvement store to purchase the tile. What I found and worked well for me was a box of 9 Tumbled Granite tiles. Some of the tiles were as smooth as can be and were easily stamped directly onto the tile, while others were lumpy and bumpy with little moon craters throughout. Those lumpy bumpy ones, I couldn’t stamp directly onto them so to get around that, I stamped my pattern onto cardstock that I cut using the square framelits and my Big Shot. I then colored the images and adhered them to the tiles using ModPog after cleaning the tiles with a soft cloth to remove any loose dust. The ModPog worked beautifully. It not only adhered the cardstock to the tile, but it also provided a protective coating so that the tiles can be used as  coasters and holds up to any moisture that may occur due to condensation from cold drinks. In order to use ModPog, you will need to stamp your image using Momento Tuxedo black ink and color your images with an alcohol based marker such as Copic or Spectrum Noir. I will be honest, I used the discontinued Stampin’ Up! Blendabilities, but any alcohol marker will work; then I added a heavy coat of the ModPog. If you try to use a water-based marker or ink, it will run when you apply the ModPog…..don’t ask how I know this!
 

Now, for the smooth tiles, I just wiped them free of loose dust and used Stazon Jet Black ink to stamp the image directly onto the tile. I allowed the ink to dry for a bit and set it with my heat gun. I then colored in some of the images with my Stampin’ Write markers. These are a water-based ink marker, however, I sealed these with an acrylic spray sealer and there was no running of the color so it worked out fine.

I hope you enjoyed this and give it a try for yourself. Please leave me any comments below and let me know what you think.  In the meantime, happy stamping!
Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace